Will I be able to revise from an RNY to a DS???

Spedteacher59
on 3/19/12 8:53 am - Levittown, PA
I had an RNY in June 2009 and lost 120 pound. However, the last year has been very rough for me. Every single food I eat now makes me horribly sick to my stomach. Also I have esophageal dysmotility which means the muscles in my esophagus don't work together to bring my food down into my pouch (this is not a result of the RNY) I also have a floppy valve at the end of the esophagus. This all leads to a terrible build up of trapped air every time I eat or drink. It is so uncomfortable and I can have air literally blasing out of me for up to 2 hours after every time I eat as well as the severe naseousness. My life has become hell. So here is my question.....I weigh only 145 now.....will they approve me for weight loss revision so I won't gain the weight back???? I thought if I had the DS instead maybe I won't have the nausea and the air problem all the time and I could get my quality of life back. Any opinions would be much appreciated.

Thansk so much,
Kathy
MajorMom
on 3/19/12 9:04 am - VA
Sounds like a lot of things going on that a really good surgeon needs to take a look at. There are a few experienced revision surgeons that might be worth contacting. Drs Keshishian and Rabkin in CA are the 2 with excellent track records. You should be able to find their contact info on www.dsfacts.com .

Good luck and keep us posted.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Spedteacher59
on 3/19/12 9:23 am - Levittown, PA
Thanks Gina....I really appreciate your input. I will def. look those surgeons up. The only thing is I live in PA......so I"m not sure if logistically that would end up being feasible for me as well as insurance coverage for out of network etc.

Thanks again,
Kathy  
smileyjamie72
on 3/19/12 10:43 am - Palmer, AK

Travel should be the least of trying to keep your health in good standing, before it goes down hill!!!!!!  I second what Gina said, and please CONTACT both of these doctors, and even as Walter suggested, Dr. Anthrone.

There are people who were very underweight and sick, that went from extended RNY to DS just to save their life.

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

walter A.
on 3/19/12 10:28 am - lafayette, NJ
i have a special vsg that Dr Anthone created for me keeping my Nisan fundiplication in place and doing a vsg underneath with a ds, something that only Dr gagner would do and pomp Roselin would not.  he is in Omaha.
mrsannie
on 3/21/12 9:13 pm
I never had a RNY, so I can only tell you about my own experience with the DS.  I find that you really need to change the way you eat.  If you don't it can cause severe gas.  You really need to limit your carbs and I really struggle with this many days.  I can not eat wheat, oats of any kind, limited sugar and I really need to watch out for sugar alcohols.  Its tough because everything is made with something I can not eat except pure protein.  So many times I can only eat part of a meal or whatever.  

So that means no bread, pasta, candy of any type and I need to limit the type and amount of fruits and veggies I choose or forget it!  If I eat raisins I suffer all day (and so dies my family!)   But steak, bacon, chicken, etc. is all OK and you can eat as much as you want!

On the plus side, I am 2 1/2 years out have only regained 5 pounds since my original low and I have maintained this weight.  But as I said the gas can be painful and smelly, so if you are looking to fix your gas issues above, the DS might not be the answer, I don't know.  Just giving you my experience.

I was a "light weight" at the time of surgery with a BMI of 41, and just made the cut off.  At 145 I doubt they would pay for and involved and expensive surgery just to keep you from gaining it back.

Good luck!
Anne

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
Most Active